2015-2016 Mushroom Crop Report Released

Released August 19, 2016, by the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), Agricultural Statistics Board, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
To obtain a full copy of the report click here

All Mushroom Value of Sales at $1.19 Billion

Volume of sales of the 2015-2016 United States mushroom crop totaled 946 million pounds, up 2 percent from last season’s revised number. Value of sales for the 2015-2016 United States mushroom crop is $1.19 billion, down less than 1 percent from the previous season. The number of growers, at 346, is down 12 from last season. The reported average price is $1.26 per pound, down 2 cents from the revised previous year’s price.

Agaricus Mushrooms

Agaricus mushroom volume of sales totaled 922 million pounds, up 2 percent from the 2014-2015 season. Pennsylvania accounted for 64 percent of the total volume of sales and second-ranked California contributed 12 percent. The value of the Agaricus crop was estimated at $1.10 billion dollars, down 2 percent from a year ago. Brown mushrooms, including Portabello and Crimini varieties, accounted for 165 million pounds, up 3 percent from last season. Brown mushrooms accounted for 18 percent of the total Agaricus volume sold and 23 percent of the total Agaricus value.

The total number of Agaricus growers in the United States, at 108, was up 3 from last season. Growers with sales exceeding 10 million pounds accounted for 74 percent of United States Agaricus sales, or 678 million pounds.

United States fresh market sales of Agaricus mushrooms totaled 827 million pounds, up 1 percent from the previous season, while processed sales, at 94.4 million pounds, was up 5 percent from the previous season. Growers reported United States fresh market production made up 90 percent of total sales volume, while processed production represented the remaining 10 percent. Grower total filling intentions for the 2016-2017 crop are 143 million square feet, up 2 percent from the total fillings in the 2015-2016 season.

The 56 growers of Agaricus mushrooms in Chester County, Pennsylvania produced 395 million pounds, a decrease of 2 percent compared with the 2014-2015 growing season. This production was valued at 384 million dollars, down less than 1 percent from the previous season. The growing area in Chester County was 13.1 million square feet, up 3 percent from last season. Total fillings were 58.2 million square feet, down 8 percent from the 2014-2015 growing season.

Specialty Mushrooms – Shiitake, Oyster, and all Other Exotics

Value of sales for commercially grown specialty mushrooms in 2015-2016 totaled 95.0 million, up 30 percent from the 2014-2015 season. A specialty grower is defined as having at least 200 natural wood logs in production or some commercial indoor growing area, and $200 or more in sales. The average price, at $3.94 per pound received by growers was up 40 cents from the previous season.

Certified Organic Agaricus and Specialty Mushrooms

Growers produced 91.1 million pounds of mushrooms that were certified organic during the 2015-2016 growing season, 49 percent above 2014-2015. Seventy-one percent of the total, or 64.9 million pounds, were sold as certified organic mushrooms. This is up 57 percentage points from the 2014-2015 crop year. Agaricus mushrooms accounted for 67 percent of the mushrooms sold as certified organic, while all specialty mushrooms made up the remainder. The total certified organic sales of all mushrooms represent 7 percent of the 2015-2016 total mushroom sales. The number of certified organic mushroom growers totaled 68, up 3 growers from the revised previous season. These growers represent 20 percent of the 346 total mushroom producers.